By: Prof Charles Kambanda
Gen. Paul Kagame says that the international community accusing him of attacking DRC should remove all DRC refugees from Rwandan territory.
Kagame’s assertion is infantile prototype, for different reasons:
(1) Gen. Paul Kagame’s war of Aggression in DRC is independent variable. Aggression is an international crime Kagame must be held accountable for.
(2) Gen Paul Kagame is the essential cause of DRC refugees in Rwanda and other countries to the extend Congolese are running away from Gen. Paul Kagame’s Aggression war in DRC.
(3) Kagame’s soldiers in DRC uproot Congolese from their land for Kagame to grab their land for his animal and crop husbandry in areas under M23/RDF control in DRC. Effectively, Kagame “herds”Congolese into exile as he consolidates their land for his illegal farming and mining business in DRC.
(4) A couple years ago, some Congolese refugees in Rwanda resolved to return to their country. Kagame stopped them. Kagame’s police shot dead about 20 Congolese refugee leaders. Some Congolese refugees are languishing in Kagame’s prison for ”attempting to mislead fellow refugees”!
(5) Congolese refugees in Rwanda are Kagame’s milk cow. Kagame receives significant amount of money from UNHCR and other international organizations.
(i) DRC is home to millions of Rwandan refugees. The number of Rwandan refugees in DRC is much more than the number of Congolese refugees in Rwanda.
(ii) Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Burundi, Zambia, Malawi, South Africa, Mozambique, etc are home to Rwandan refugees. Rwanda has never had so many people fleeing, on daily basis, as it is the case under President Paul Kagame’s government
(iii) Kagame sets Tutsi communities against other ethnic groups in Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, DRC, etc. Unfortunately, when ethnic violence or clashes he provoked and sponsors occur, Kagame presents himself as the “protector” of the Tutsi. Kagame butchers the Tutsi, Hutu, and Twa in Rwanda and beyond at liberty. However, Kagame claims to be the protector of Tutsi communities in Rwanda and entire region, thereby becoming the proverbial arsonist and firefighter!
(iv) Kagame seeks to use Congolese refugees in Rwanda to blackmail international community.