By: Robert Patrick Fati Gakwerere
On Friday, 28th July 2023, the European Union imposed targeted financial and travel sanctions against seven people from the Democratic Republic of Congo, one from Rwanda, and one from Tanzania for war crimes and crimes against humanity in eastern DR Congo.
The newly sanctioned individuals are leaders or senior commanders of known brutal and abusive armed groups operating in eastern DR Congo’s North Kivu, South Kivu, and Ituri provinces, including RDF – M23.
Full list of sanctioned individuals:
1) ‘Gen’ Janvier Kairiri of the Patriots’ Alliance for a Free and Sovereign Congo (Alliance des patriotes pour un Congo libre et souverain, APCLS),
2) Col Michel Rukunda known as “Makanika” of Twirwaneho,
3) Col Charles Sematama of the Twirwaneho,
4) Justin Maki Gesi aka “the little mountain wolf” of the Cooperative for the Development of Congo (Coopérative pour le développement du Congo, CODECO),
5) Brig Gen Bernard Maheshe Byamungu of M23,
6) ‘Brig Gen’ Apollinaire Hakizimana of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (Forces démocratiques pour la libération du Rwanda, FDLR),
7) Ahmad Mahmood Hassan also known as “Jundi Abakwasi,” a Tanzanian national, of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF),
8) Col. Salomon Tokolonga of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s Armed Forces,
9) Capt. Jean-Pierre Niragire also knowns as Gasasira of the Rwanda Defence Force.
Out of the 13 RDF Killers of Congolese as mentioned in a recently published June 2023 UN report on DR Congo, the EU has just sanctioned the least military officer in the list, Captain Jean Pierre Niragira a junior military officer in Criminal Paul Kagame’s Special force.
13 Killers of Congolese as mentioned in a recently published June 2023 UN report on DR Congo.
1) Gen James Kabarebe
2) Gen Jean Bosco Kazura
3) Lt Gen Mubarak Muganga
4) Maj Gen Ruki Karusisi
5) Maj Gen Vincent Nyakarundi
6) Maj Gen Frank Mugambage
7) Maj Gen Emmy Ruvusha
8) Maj Gen Alex Kagame
9) Maj Gen Eric Murokore
10) Brig Gen Gacinya Rugumya
11) Brig Gen Andrew Nyamvumba
12) Lt Col Alex Nkuranga
13) Captain Jean Pierre Niragira
The above 13 individuals have killed, kidnapped, tortured and plundered all in the name of following orders of Criminal Paul Kagame.